I write as a civilian for the Department of Defense.
I enlisted in the Air Force in 1998. After basic training in San Antonio, Texas, I was trained as a writer at the Defense Information School at Fort Meade, Md. My first assignment was to Dover Air Force Base, where I worked as a public affairs specialist, writer and editor for "The Airlifter," the newspaper of the 436th Airlift Wing.
I also served at Misawa Air Base, Japan, as part of the 35th Fighter Wing. There I worked as a media relations specialist. Instead of writing for the local base newspaper, I set up interviews for reporters from civilian newspapers and helped them get their questions answered.
In 2002, I moved to Washington, D.C., to work for Detachment 16 Air Force News Agency. As part of AFNEWS, my job was to cover the Air Staff and Air Force programs and policy. Air Staff members are the men and women at the Pentagon who write policy and make decisions that affect the entire Air Force. I wrote about acquisition programs such as the F-22, the F-35 and the effort to purchase a new tanker aircraft.
In 2007 I worked for a short time in the private sector for two companies that worked with the Department of Defense, including one publisher and another defense contractor.
By late 2007, I took a job with Army News Service and Soldiers Magazine, which are now both part of Defense Media Activity. For the Army, I covered programs involving installations, environmental policy, logistics, procurement, personnel policy, operations, and legislation on Capitol Hill.
In 2019, I changed positions within DMA, and now write for DOD News at the Pentagon.
The DOD has sent me to Japan, Turkey, Southwest Asia, Korea, Germany, Honduras, Romania, the Marshall Islands, Kuwait, Afghanistan and Iraq. The stories and photos I have taken are here on my web site.
Since 1998, I've worked for and written for the following newspapers, news agencies, or organizations:
• The Airlifter, Dover Air Force Base, Del., Oct. 8, 1998 - May 23, 2000
• The Northern Light, Misawa Air Base, Japan, May 24, 2000 - June 11, 2002
• The Tip of the Sword, ONW, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, Sept. 1 - Dec. 5, 2001
• The Desert Eagle, OIF, Southwest Asia, June 10, 2004 - Sept. 15, 2004
• AFNEWS, Washington D.C., June 11, 2002 - Sept.30, 2006
• Secretary of the Air Force, Public Affairs, Washington D.C., Oct. 1, 2006 - March 15, 2007
• Comprint Military Publications, Alexandria, Va., March 16 - July 13, 2007
• Defense Intelligence Agency Public Affairs, Washington D.C., July 16 - Dec. 9, 2007
• U.S. Army Soldier Media Center, Washington D.C., Dec. 10, 2007 - Sept. 30, 2008
• The Defense Media Activity, Washington D.C., Oct. 1, 2008 - present